Happy New Year! Why not bring in the New Year with my favorite snack; Chocolate covered Strawberries with Coconut Flakes. While I am aware of the crisis that brew within the Cocoa industry. One should always be conscious of their buying choices. I was extra conscious than usual of my buying choices. According to CNN, more than 72% of the World’s cocoa is grown in Ivory Coast; the cocoa industry supports about 3.5 million people in Ivory Coast. In total around the world, the chocolate industry is worth approximately $110 billion per year. With the growing crisis of child-labor and unpaid wages, and efforts being made to tackle this crisis. A lot can still be done to improve the lives of cocoa-farmers, child labor and poverty in the chocolate industry in Africa and around the world. If you have time, please watch the video to learn more.
- Chocolate (2) bags
- 2 pounds of Organic Strawberries
- 1 bag of Coconut flakes
- Refrigerator or Cool air
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash strawberries and pat dry with paper towels.
- Melt the chocolate (5min).
- Stir chocolate occasionally until smooth.
- Insert toothpicks into the top of strawberries.
- Dip the strawberries in melted chocolate.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Use Coconut flakes as garnish and flavor.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.