Every vegan loves a good Tofu breakfast. Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all nine (9) amino acids which are; histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine. Vegan foods that contain amino acids include; soybeans, pumpkin, seeds, nuts, peas, beans, chia seeds, almonds, oats, lentils, etc. Amino acids are important to the body because they break down foods, repair body tissue, promote growth, and they perform many other body functions. Getting a good balance of amino acids in the body not only regulate growth, but creates a balance in the body to enhance and restore health. Tofu scramble is a personal favorite breakfast of mine. I hope you try and enjoy.
Author: Dianne Wenz
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned well and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 10 -12 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 14-ounce block tofu, firm or extra firm, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning mix
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 6 ounces of baby spinach, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup black olives, chopped
- Cook the leeks in the oil along with a pinch of sea salt in a large skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until they start to brown and caramelize. Stir often.
- Add the mushrooms and another pinch of salt and cook until they soften, about 5 more minutes.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan along with the nutritional yeast, all-purpose seasoning mix cumin, black pepper, turmeric, red pepper flakes and the remaining sea salt. Let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the spinach and cook a minute or two, until it wilts.
- Serve hot, topped with chopped tomatoes and black olives.
Check out this Idea List on Amazon: Vegan/Vegetarian