You are what you eat. I say this because as as a proud vegan, nutrients from the foods you eat food provide the foundation of the structure, function, and integrity of every little cell in your body, from your skin and hair to your muscles, bones, digestive and immune systems. One should always be cautious about food and the things they allow into their body. To help guide you thru, here are few tips & notes I’ll like to share.
Building Blocks for Essential Healthy Diet
- Fruits (The fruiter the better)
- Vegetables (Go Greener)
- Grains (Wheat)
- Proteins (Muscle Builders)
- Dairy (Mineral for Bones)
- Oils (Bonus)
Macronutrients (Carbohydrates, Protein, Lipids)
- 45-65% of Calories
- Important Source of energy
- Found in Variety of foods.
- 10-15% of Calories (200-300)
- Highest thermic effect
- High (Complete Proteins): Eggs, Meat, Fish
- 20-35% of Calories (400-700)
- Less than 10% from Saturated fats.
Micronutrients (Vitamins & Minerals)
Micronutrients, as opposed to macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates and fat), are comprised of vitamins and minerals which are required in small quantities to ensure normal metabolism, growth and physical well‐being.
- Needed for Chemical reactions
- Needs vary: Age, gender, weights
- Dietary Reference intake DRI
Fat-Soluble, Vitamin A, D, E, K
Water- Soluble, Vitamin B and C
- Vitamin B: Meat, Whole Grains, and Fruits…
- Vitamin C: Orange, Guava, Sweet Peppers, Strawberries, Kiwi…
Fact of the matter is, no single food contains all of the vitamins and minerals we need and, therefore, a balanced and varied diet is necessary for an adequate intake.
Tip: Looking at Nutrition Labels and colors help. Choose Your preference.